BIMETALLIC COIN, THE DRACHMA OF 1832
The Drachma of 1832
By virtue of King Otto’s Royal Decree of 8 February 1833, the drachma replaced the phoenix and, in August 1833, public revenue offices were explicitly prohibited from accepting Ottoman currency. As stipulated in the same decree, the drachma was to be issued in gold, silver and copper. In a similar vein, the capital was moved from Nafplion to Athens, in order to symbolically reconnect with Greece’s glorious past.
The Athens Royal Mint started operations in 1836, but until 1841 only minted the drachma’s copper subdivisions. The minting of silver coins began in 1842. Gold drachmas were minted only in large denominations (20 or 40 drachmas), in a limited edition. By virtue of the Royal Decree of 12 July 1843, the exclusive right to issue drachma notes was granted to the newly founded National Bank of Greece, which maintained this privilege until the establishment of the Bank of Greece in 1928.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS AND OTHER INFORMATION
Nominal Value: 5€
Diameter: 27.25 mm
Weight: 9 gr
Edge shape: plain
Edge thickness: 2.20 mm
Metal: CuNi25CuNi19, polymer ring
Maximum issue: 125,000 pieces
Minting quality: Brilliant uncirculated
Coin designed by: George Stamatopoulos
Packaging artwork: Commercial and Value Document Printing Section
Minted at: Bank of Greece/Printing Works Department
Packaging: Coin Card Blister
INFORMATION OF FIRST MINTING
Alloy: silver 900%, copper 100%
Engraver: Carl – Friedrich Voigt
Weight: 4.477gr, Diameter: 22 mm
The coins are bimetallic Cu Ni with an inner polymer ring in blue colour. The bimetallic coins may be purchased individually, each in a blister case.